In April 1927, Mrs. William Henry Brophy gave the California Province of the Society of Jesus (now Jesuits West) a gift of 29.9 acres that was, at that time, outside the Phoenix city limits. The gift also included $250,000 that was to fund the establishment of a school named after her late husband. On Jan. 18, 1928, the Wasielewski Company broke ground and on April 29, 1928, the cornerstone was laid with much celebration. On Sept. 10, 1928, the doors opened with an enrollment of 68 young men. Today, Brophy has an enrollment of approximately 1400 students and over 14,000 alumni who live and serve Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam – AMDG (for the greater glory of God) – all over the country and the world.