Lenten Services


✞ Palm Sunday Mass - April 9 at 10 a.m.

✞ Good Friday - No mass at Brophy Chapel. Please attend at your home parish.

✞ Easter Sunday Mass - April 16 at 10 a.m.

The last mass of the 2016-2017 school year will be Sunday, May 14 at 10 a.m.  Brophy Chapel closes during July and the beginning of August. For the 2017-2018 school year, Sunday mass will resume on August 13.


Welcome to Brophy Chapel

 
 
During the school year, Mass is celebrated every Sunday at 10 a.m. and on Wednesdays at 12:10 p.m. Services are not held over the summer.

For Wednesday Mass, please enter through Brophy's north or south entrance gates, or through Brophy Hall. For security reasons, the front chapel doors are kept closed and locked during the school day.


WEDDINGS AT BROPHY CHAPEL


Built in 1928, the beautiful and intimate Brophy Chapel was designed for the students of Brophy College Preparatory. Because of the high demand for this unique sanctuary as a wedding venue, the Chapel is only available to graduates of Brophy College Preparatory and Xavier College Preparatory. Once you download the guidelines and reservation information below, if you have other questions please contact the Chapel Coordinator, Mrs. Susan DeLozier, at 602-264-5291, ext. 6422, or you may email her.

  • For Chapel Guidelines, please click here
  • For Chapel Reservation Information/Reservation Form, please click here

FUNERALS AND BAPTISMS

For information on funerals or baptisms in the chapel, please contact Chapel Coordinator Mrs. Susan DeLozier at 602-264-5291, ext. 6422, or email her.


List of 8 frequently asked questions.

The Historic Brophy Chapel

List of 5 items.

  • Introduction

      
    Built in 1928, the chapel was designed for the students of Brophy College Preparatory. Along with the classroom building (Brophy Hall) and faculty residence (Romley Hall), the chapel was donated by Mrs. William Henry Brophy in memory of her husband.

    The contractor was the A.F. Wasielewski Company of Phoenix and the architect was John R. Kibbey of Los Angeles.
  • At the Main Entrance

    At the main entrance, the large wooden doors hint at the Spanish influence that is felt throughout the chapel. Having spent a year in Spain and several years in Mexico, Mr. Kibbey, the architect, had a genuine feeling for the heritage of the Catholic Hispanic Southwest. 

    The interior of the chapel combines much of the Catholic spirit of Andalusia in southern Spain and the 18th century church architecture found in different parts of Mexico. The Spanish Colonial architecture is more restrained than the flamboyant baroque of the numerous period churches of Mexico, but is more sophisticated than that of the mission churches of southern Arizona, New Mexico, and California.

    Upon entering the Chapel, one’s first impression after leaving the brightness of the Arizona sunlight is similar to that of entering the dim cathedral atmosphere of a European church. The filtered light of the stained glass windows tones down the brilliantly painted ceiling of Spanish design - the Moorish influence seen in so much of the Catholic church architecture of Spain.
  • The Altar

    The first point of interest is the pinkish tufa stone altar, designed in the style of Mexican baroque. Cut from a quarry near Wickenburg, this Arizona volcanic stone was carved by local sculptors. Effectively framed above the altar is a painting of the Holy Family. This is the work of a fine (though unknown) artist of the Italian school of Andrea Del Sarto in the fifteenth century. The central statue of the Sacred Heart is flanked by those of St. Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Society of Jesus, and his companion, St. Francis Xavier, patron of the Brophy school. The wood carved legs of the movable altar are the recent works of Taiwanese craftsmen, in duplication of the original ornate pedestals over the doors entering the sacristies.
     
    The large, impressive crucifix on the right is an outstanding specimen of art by a wood carver of Rome. The sacristy to the left of the altar features an article of historic interest, a large wooden crucifix carved about 1670. It came from the Monk’s Cemetery at Evaux near Montfaucon in France, and was a survivor of the World War I battle of Verdun.

    The abundant use of sea shells in the chapel – carved into the main altar and decorating the wall lights under the windows – is very common in Spanish colonial architecture. The tradition has its origin in the shells of St. James (Santiago de Compostela).

    The heavy and intricately wrought iron chandeliers are of pure Spanish design but are the handiwork of a local blacksmith shop. Transverse structural I-beams, encased in wood, carry the weight of the ceiling; the length-wise beams are of solid pine. Small sections of the latter, recently found in the attic, provide an entrance to the Baptistry at the rear of the chapel. A small section of the original communion rail, removed after Vatican Council 11, stands at a side altar, dedicated to St. Ignatius.

    The painting on the wall of the Baptistry, depicting the history and growth of Phoenix, is the work of Michael Tang, a Brophy student who became a member of the Jesuit Order. The coat of arms of the Society of Jesus over the southeast chapel exit, and the seal of the Society of Jesus over the back exit are a rather recent work of craftsmen in Taiwan. The statue of St. Francis Xavier in the vestibule was the work of a wood carver in Rome.

    The structure of the chapel is made of brick and cement mixed on site. Its tower, 135 feet high, is perfectly proportioned, a desert landmark through the 1930’s. The fountain in the front patio was built and donated by the A. F. Wasielewski Company in memory of their founder. The original cast-iron statue of St. Francis Xavier over the fountain, was destroyed in a wind storm. The present cast-stone statue of the Sacred Heart was installed in 1966.

    The laying of the cornerstone on April 29, 1928, brought together in Phoenix “probably the greatest assembly of Roman Catholic church dignitaries ever to gather in Arizona.” Also present were many leaders of the city, county, state, and federal governments.
  • The Stained Glass Windows

    An outstanding feature of the chapel is the series of stained glass windows, designed and executed by the artists of An Tur Gloine (Gaelic for “Tower of Glass”) of Dublin, Ireland. (The artists were also known as The Co-Operative Stained Glass and Mosaic Works, Ltd.) Miss Sarah Purser, a friend of Mrs. Brophy and a member of the Royal Irish Academy, organized and directed several of the famous Stained Glass Guild workers, permitting the artists to design their windows individually.

    They are called “jewel” windows, featuring symbols, in distinction to “figure” windows. As far as is known, in the United States only three other institutions feature these Irish windows, all on the eastern seaboard. At the time of Mrs. Brophy’s death in 1934, only one window, the one in the choir loft, had not been ordered. In 1985, Mr. William Lupkin, a Scottsdale artist, was commissioned to design and execute this last window.

    The theme of the windows is the symbolism of the articles of the Apostles’ Creed.
  • Relationship with St. Francis Xavier Parish

    On December 19, 1928, a few months after the buildings were completed, St. Francis Xavier Parish was established as the second parish in Phoenix, (St. Mary’s was the first). The Brophy student chapel served as the parish church until 1959.

    Bishop Gercke named the parish’s boundaries as Virginia Avenue to the south, 19th Avenue on the west, 16th Street to the east, and the southern side of the mountains on the north. But he asked the Fathers temporarily to consider their parish extending west to Glendale, east to Scottsville (sic), and north to the mountains.

    Weddings are now performed in the chapel only when either the groom is a Brophy graduate or the bride is an alumna of Xavier College Preparatory.