Images from the 2017 Mother-Son Communion Breakfast
Mothers’ Guild Newsletter | February 10, 2017
Mark Your Calendar
- February 16 - Mothers’ Guild Meeting, Harper Great Hall, 11:30 a.m.
- February 16 - Iron Moms’ Prayer Group, Brophy Chapel, 10:45 a.m.
- February 27 - Growing in Ignatian Spirituality, Brophy Chapel, 6:30 p.m.
- March 2 - Lenten Prayer Service, Brophy Chapel and Jesuit Garden, 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- March 3-4 - Spring Retreat, Manresa
- March 4-5 - Senior Moms’ Retreat, Manresa
- March 7 - Chapel Care, Brophy Chapel, 8:00-9:00 a.m.
- March 8 - Hiking Club, Tom’s Thumb Trailhead, 9:15 a.m.
- March 9 - Book Club, Biltmore Lobby, 7:30 a.m.
- March 16 - Mothers’ Guild Meeting, Harper Great Hall, 11:30 a.m.
- March 18 - Brophy Auction “Night in Nantucket”
- March 28 - Senior Moms Social, Julie Vogel’s home
- March 29 - Freshman Hearing Screening, OFJ/SAC, 8:00 a.m.-2:50 p.m.
- April 2 - Mother-Son Beach Bash, Harper Great Hall, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- April 6 - Senior Treat Day, Student Activity Center, 9:50-10:10 a.m.
- May 20 - Project Graduation, Crackerjax, Scottsdale
Chapel Care – Seeking Committee Chair
Does the smell of beeswax excite you? Does the light shining through those beautiful stained glass windows make you wish you could spend more time in our Brophy Chapel? Then join the Chapel Care committee. After three years, our current chair is surrendering her post! We have a lot of helpers, we just need a chair! If you would like to head this committee, please contact Deidra Gilligan at email@example.com
Iron Moms’ Prayer Group
Thursday, February 16
If your New Year's Resolution includes spending more time in our Lord's presence, then we have an opportunity for you! The Brophy Iron Moms' Prayer Group will be meeting next week before the Mothers' Guild Luncheon. Join us Thursday, February 16 at 10:45 a.m. in the Brophy Chapel for a time of reflection, prayer, and fellowship!
Mothers' Guild Meeting and Luncheon
Thursday, February 16
The next Mothers’ Guild Luncheon and Meeting will be Thursday, February 16 in the Harper Great Hall beginning at 11:30 a.m. Our featured speaker is Mr. Nate Hester who will tell us about a new and innovative course this year- Seedspot: An introduction to Social Entrepreneurship. He and some of his students will offer a brief presentation about the curriculum which includes learning about entrepreneurship during the first semester and then developing and refining an idea that they will "pitch" at the end of the second semester. We hope to see you there.
Please bring a bottle of wine to the February Mother’s Guild meeting to donate to the Brophy Spring Auction wine pull. Drop it off at the Night in Nantucket Auction Table.
Growing in Ignatian Spirituality
Monday, February 27
Please join us as we continue the series on Ignatian Spirituality. This is a reflective, contemplative time led by Adria Renke, President of Brophy College Prep, and inspired by the messages of St. Ignatius. The sessions last approximately forty minutes and occur once a month at 6:30 p.m. in Brophy Chapel.
Please come early as Adria starts promptly. It is not necessary to have attended previously to enjoy the benefits and is open to all regardless of faith. Feel free to bring your friends.
Mothers’ Guild Spring Retreat
Friday, March 3 - Saturday, March 4
Registration has closed and the retreat is full, but sometimes plans change and we have cancellations. If you would like to be added to the wait list, please use the link that was sent on Sunday. Participants will arrive at, or around, 12:00 p.m. on Friday, March 3 with an estimated departure time of 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 4. If you have questions, please contact Mary Ellen Beall, Heather Haak, Jody MacKenzie, and Trescha Peeples at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, March 7
Chapel Care meets on the first Tuesday of each month from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. We gather at Brophy Chapel to give it a good cleaning as our service to our Brophy community. The remaining cleaning dates are April 4 and May 2. We look forward to seeing you!
Wednesday, March 8
The hiking club will meet at
the Tom’s Thumb Trailhead at 9:15 a.m.
followed by lunch, TBD. If you wish to be on our email list (this is best for directions, additional information, or last-minute changes) please send your request to Katherine Thorsberg (email@example.com
) and include your phone number. If you have questions, contact Jennifer Donley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, March 9
After this week’s stellar Book Club discussion, I can't imagine what we have left to talk about! Nevertheless, "We Need to Talk About Kevin" by Lionel Shriver is up for discussion on March 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the Biltmore lobby. If you have any questions, contact Rosanne Schneider email@example.com
or Julie Peterson firstname.lastname@example.org
. Enjoy the read!
Brophy Spring Auction 2017 – A Night in Nantucket
Saturday, March 18
If your 2017 bucket list includes…
- Heading to Wrigley Field to catch the defending World Series Champions the Chicago Cubs in action…
- Taking the family to Yellowstone Park, staying at a ranch, and finally learning to fly fish with your own personal guide…
- Getting your son a reserved parking space for 2017-2018 or reserving front row seats for graduation…
…please plan to attend the Spring Auction! All this, and much more, will be available during the silent and live auctions.
Freshman Hearing Screening – Volunteers Needed
Wednesday, March 29
The Freshman Hearing Screening is Wednesday, March 29 in the Office of Faith and Justice/Student Activity Center in Keating Hall. We are looking for volunteers to help at this all-day event – 8:00 a.m.-2:50 p.m. Volunteers will need to arrive by 8:00 a.m. for training and set-up. Lunch will be provided. Volunteers should bring reading material, as there will be some down time throughout the day. Be sure to dress comfortably and bring a sweater or jacket. This is a great day for freshmen moms or any volunteer who wants to spend some quality time with our Baby Broncos. If you’re interested in volunteering, please contact Kim McCann at email@example.com
Mother-Son Beach Bash
Sunday, April 2, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Come celebrate springtime with your junior or senior son at the Mother-Son Beach Bash on Sunday, April 2 in the Harper Great Hall. The cost is $30 per person. Don’t miss this fun and memorable evening with your favorite 2017 and 2018 Broncos! Look for the registration link in the next eNews. If you have questions, please contact Carrie Regan (firstname.lastname@example.org
) or Jean Cody (email@example.com
Project Graduation - Save the Date
Saturday, May 20
Mark your calendars for Project Graduation. This event requires a lot of volunteers. More details are coming soon. If you have questions, please contact Amanda Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Moms’ Socials
The March social will be Tuesday, March 28 at the home of Julie Vogel (please note the change in date).
Senior Treat Days
The next Senior Treat Day is Thursday, April 6 at break (9:50-10:10 a.m.) in the Student Activity Center. If you would like to come to help set up/see your senior, please arrive at 9:30 a.m.
Senior Moms’ Spring Retreat - Manresa (Oak Creek Canyon)
Senior Moms - Graduation Information
Elite Southwest will be on campus during break (9:50-10:10 a.m. in front of the SAC except where otherwise noted) for ring delivery on the following dates:
- Thursday, March 30 (Location: Great Hall Arcade during lunch 12:05-12:50 p.m.)
- Friday, April 28 (Location: Great Hall Arcade at noon after the Awards Assembly.)
- Thank you to Laura Barnes, Caroline Sullivan, and the entire committee, Adria Renke, Paul Fisko and family for the choir, and Father Postell for a lovely Mother-Son Communion Mass and Breakfast.
- We hope the 600-plus Brophy moms and sons had a wonderful morning together at the Mother- Son Communion Breakfast this past Saturday! The event would not have been possible without the generosity of time and talents from so many. A special heartfelt thank you to our committee members Grace Dubberly, Erin White, Lynn Dispenziere, Carol Campbell, Tricia Farmer, Jeni Earl, Suzie Barber, Rebecca Even, Heather Spotts, JoAn Chong, Edith Nickerson, Linda Abele, Julie Kwapiszeski, Monica Spitza, Melissa McGarry, Barb Spotts, Corda Colvin, Sandy Bolosan, Kathy Rowland, and Gina Rinehart. And how about those Dads? Thank you Rick Harris and Eamonn Ahearne for leading a small army of fathers from the Dads' Club in serving and cleaning up at the breakfast! And we must shout out to Joni Owens for handling that huge, ever-changing registration list. Wow! There were so many others from the Mothers' Guild, Brophy faculty, and Michael's Catering; we are so grateful to each one of you! It was our honor to serve. Laura Barnes and Caroline Sullivan, Co-Chairs
- Thank you to Joan Brock for opening her beautiful home for the Senior Moms’ Social.
- Thank you to Kelli Rice, Megan Kuhl, Polly Wintergalen, and Teresa Brown for organizing the Senior Moms’ Social.
- Thank you to Rosanne Schneider and Julie Peterson for hosting another great book club.
- Thank you to Jennifer Donley and Katherine Thorsberg for organizing an amazing hike to Piestewa Peak.
- Thank you to Stephanie Cunningham for overseeing the National Honor Society reception; and to Kim McCann and Lisa Adele for rounding up volunteers and 25 dozen cookies and lemonade!
- Thank you to the volunteers who supplied cookies for the NHS ceremony.