Mark Your Calendar…
- Father-Son Communion Breakfast, Saturday, Nov. 17, 8-11 a.m., St. Francis Xavier Church
- Growing in Ignatian Spirituality, Monday, Nov. 19, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Brophy Chapel
- 12 Days of Christmas, Nov. 27 Deadline to Donate
- Let’s Get Together Holiday Luncheon, Wednesday, Dec. 5, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Vincent on Camelback
- Advent Prayer Service, Thursday, Dec. 6, 8:45-11:15 a.m. (lunch to follow)
- Hiking Club, Friday, Dec. 7, 9:15 a.m., hiking/lunch locations TBD
- Book Club, Thursday, Dec. 13, 6:45 p.m., Arizona Biltmore Hotel Lobby
- Mother-Son Communion Breakfast, Saturday, Feb. 9, 7:30-11:30 a.m.
- Spring Retreat, Friday, March 1, 11:30 a.m. to Saturday, March 2, 11:30 a.m., Manresa Retreat Center
- Senior Moms Spring Retreat, Saturday, March 2, 11:30 a.m. to Sunday, March 3, 11:30 a.m., Manresa Retreat Center
ISO Crafty Bow Makers!
Hopefully, you’ve seen Brophy Chapel at Christmastime, and this year it’s going to be more beautiful than ever! The Chapel Care volunteers are in need of a crafty mom or two to help refresh the holiday wreaths with new bows (15 total). They will provide ribbon and examples of what they need. The bows need to be completed by Dec. 3, in time for the Advent Prayer Service on Dec. 7. If you can wiggle your festive, crafty, bow-making wand, please contact Jill Gruler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Call for 12 Day of Christmas Donations for Brophy Faculty/Staff
We invite you to help us celebrate our 153 faculty members during our “Brophy Blessed” 12 Days of Christmas. Every little bit helps! Monetary or gift card donations may be dropped off with Ellen in the Business Office in Romley Hall by Nov. 27. Thank you for supporting our staff! Please contact Hedwig Ashok /email@example.com
, Tina Marie Bartonfirstname.lastname@example.org
, or Christy O’Garaemail@example.com
Growing in Ignatian Spirituality
Monday, Nov. 19, 6:30-7:15 p.m., Brophy Chapel
"The key insight of Ignatius Loyola is that we find God in all things. Ignatian spirituality is spirituality for everyday life. It insists that God is present in our world and active in our lives. It is a pathway to deeper prayer, good decisions guided by keen discernment, and an active life of service to others."-- Loyola Press
Growing in Ignatian Spirituality is the focus of an exciting series open to men and women using adaptations from the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. Sponsored by the Brophy President's Office, it promises to be an inspirational time of reflection and quiet contemplation opening to the "still voice within." The series meets monthly in the Brophy Chapel. Feel free to bring your friends to experience a bit of peace in the midst of your busy lives. It is not necessary to have attended prior sessions in order to enjoy the benefits. Regardless of your religious affiliation, this will be something you don't want to miss!
Let’s Get Together … Holiday Lunch at Vincent on Camelback
Wednesday, Dec. 5, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Vincent on Camelback
Registration is complete and the event is full. If you are registered to attend, please bring hygiene items to donate (toothbrush, razor, deodorant and one fun item like cologne/perfume, bracelet, or a $5 gift card for Walmart, Harkins/AMC, Amazon). Contact LetsGetTogetherCommittee@yahoo.com
Advent Prayer Service
Thursday, Dec. 6, 8:45 a.m. to Noon, Brophy Chapel and Jesuit Garden
Advent is just around the corner, so join us for a lovely morning designed to get you in the spirit! The prayer service is in the Brophy Chapel (preceded by coffee/pastries and music) and will be followed by a luncheon in the Jesuit Garden. Come enjoy music, scripture, speakers, prayer and wonderful fellowship to help us get centered at the start of the busy Christmas season. All faiths are welcome! If you would like to attend, please RSVP to the digital invitation that was sent earlier this week. If you can bring something to contribute toward lunch, sign up here.
Please contact Orfe Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or Karen Ahearne email@example.com
Friday, Dec. 7, 9:15 a.m. with hiking/lunch locations TBD
All you fantastic hikers who registered for the Hiking Club should be receiving emails each month with details about the hikes/lunch. If you are interested in joining us, contact Jennifer Donley
or Katherine Thorsberg
to be added to the hiking group email list. Join us for fun, fitness and fellowship, and let’s celebrate the arrival of beautiful cool weather! Remaining hiking dates are Jan. 16, Feb. 12, March 21 and April 9.
Brophy Book Club
Thursday, Dec. 13, Arizona Biltmore Hotel Lobby, 6:45 p.m. cocktails, 7:15 p.m. discussion
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors and the most patient of teachers.” ~ Charles W. Elliot. Our December book is " A Round of Stories by the Christmas Fire" by Charles Dickens (ISBN 978-1843911647).
This is also our Christmas book exchange, so please bring a favorite book to gift to a member of the group. You might want to start reading our January book now, as it is long, but most informative. "The Boy Crisis " by William Farrell, Ph.D. and John Gray, Ph.D., addresses why boys are struggling and what we can do to help them. Please join us for a lively discussion (preceded by cocktails) and friendship. If you have any bookish questions, please contact Corda Colvin firstname.lastname@example.org
January L.I.F.T. Meeting
Thursday, Jan. 10, 10:30 a.m., Brophy Chapel
Our January L.I.F.T. (Ladies in Faith Together) will meet before the Mothers' Guild Luncheon/Meeting. Join us for devotional, prayer and fellowship to support each other as we navigate these critical years! January's reflection is God as our supreme example as Giver of Hope! For questions, please contact Christi Sourk
or Grace Dubberly
January Mothers’ Guild Luncheon and Meeting
Thursday, Jan. 10, 11:30 a.m., Harper Great Hall
Please join us for our first meeting of 2019! We’ll have a lively panel of Brophy graduates who are currently freshmen at colleges around the country. We’ll query them about everything from academics, athletics, scholarship opportunities, Greek life/activities and the food on their campus. Please contact Jean Cody
if you have questions about the meeting.
Spring Mothers’ Guild Retreats
All Classes: Friday, March 1, 11:30 a.m. to Saturday, March 2, 11:30 a.m.
Senior Moms: Saturday, March 2, 11:30 a.m. to Sunday, March 3, 11:30 a.m.
Manresa Retreat Center
Mark your calendars for the upcoming Mothers’ Guild Retreats. Stay tuned to the eNews and other communications about a new registration process and dates. Out of respect for all attending, we ask that you register ONLY if you are able to stay for the entire retreat. NO late arrivals or early departures are permitted, nor may you leave and return mid-retreat. Please check your calendar (and your son's calendar!) before you register.
The Brophy Mothers’ Guild has ONE fundraiser each year, and we’re inches away from our goal. The funds we raise cover monthly Mothers’ Guild luncheon meetings, Advent and Lenten Prayer Services, the Mother/Son Beach Bash, the New Parent Luncheon and more. If you attend any of these events, please consider purchasing a Lifetime Membership. Your one-time $200 membership fee allows you and a guest entrance into all Brophy on-campus events FOREVER, and you’ll also get a fantastic card with your name on it and a special gift. We need FIVE more ladies to purchase Brophy Mothers Guild Lifetime Memberships to meet our budget for the year! (https://secure.brophyprep.org/payment/dev/mothersGuild/index.php)
Brophy Prayer Chain
The Brophy Prayer Group is committed to offering prayer support for anyone in the Brophy community who has a medical or personal concern. These Prayer Warriors are here for you in time of need, and also if you desire to send an intention for prayers. Prayer requests received will be shared by email with the prayer group, along with scripture that will inspire each person that participates. Each member will pray for the specific intention request in their own special way. Please contact Christy O’Gara
with your requests, and please confirm the family is aware and requests our prayers. Email Christy if you would like to be added to the Brophy Prayer Chain group.
Pray the Rosary
Thursdays, 8:30 a.m., Brophy Chapel
Please join us as we pray the Rosary every Thursday for our Brophy Community! We will meet in the Brophy Chapel on Thursdays at 8:30 a.m. for the remainder of the school year. Everyone is invited ... moms, dads, family members, and friends! If you have questions, contact Susan Pataq
. “The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you’ll be amazed at the results.” ~St. Josemaria Escriva
A heartfelt “thank you” goes to …
- A belated thank you to Yolanda Alemany for volunteering at the President’s Club dinner.
- Thank you to all the “Cookie-Momsters” who donated 4,000 cookies for Brophy’s annual Admissions Open House!
- Thank you to the army of volunteers to helped make our Open House a success! You welcomed our future Broncos with your smiling faces, directed traffic, answered a multitude of questions about what it’s like to be at Brophy and passed out thousands of cookies: Yolanda Alemany, Laurie Bagley, Tina Barton, Tommi Becker, Alicia Cardellini, Leigh-Anne Demetriades, Michele Douglas, Tracy Ferrara, Julie Furey, Jo Ellen McBride, Courtney Odden, Claudia Olson, Laurena Ketzel-Kerber, Lorena Romo, and Barbara Spotts.
- Special thanks to these Open House volunteers who went the extra mile by signing up for multiple shifts and staying late: Magdalena Antillon, Juana Garcia, Lisa Gaitan, Heather Miller, Brenda Ruiz, Rosa Santana, Brandi Sutton, Christina Wallen, Rosa Wondrash
- With gratitude to Tony Oldani for facilitating the Student Council donation of new Brophy t-shirts to “dress” the huge beverage jugs of water and lemonade. We will think of you each and every time we dress the jugs.
- Thank you to Mr. Mark Granger, for your time and presentation about the Heart of Jesuit Education at our November Mothers’ Guild meeting. You’re not just informative, but inspirational!
- Bradford Brohard, Shannon Warren, Judy Wentworth, and Amy Quintel- thank you for decorating our lovely tables for fall at the MG meeting. We are grateful for you!
- A fashionable thank you to the incredible team of moms led by Joo Cantor and Pam Kolbe for hitting the Fashion Show fundraising ball over Camelback Mountain and raising more than $1,000,000 for the Brophy Financial Aid Fund. We loved and appreciated everything from the boys clapping for us as we walked into lunch, the pre-fashion show weekly online shopping items, the latest Varsity Shop swag for our sons, and the chance to cheer on the senior boys and spend the day with friends supporting our amazing school. Cheers to you for a long, intense job, incredibly well done!
- Lastly, our beloved Fashion Show chairs have a few thanks of their own:
•To all donors who supported the Fashion Show, the achievement is yours
•Thank you to Brophy President Adria Renke
•It has been a joy to work with Principal Bob Ryan and the wonderful Brophy staff
•Thanks to our committee and especially the chairs and our chair-elects, Michelle Roe and Leslee Allen
•Special thanks to our friends who paved the way, Missy Smith and Kathleen Graham
•Finally thanks to our retailers for making the boys runway ready