As a Jesuit school, Brophy inherits the vision and philosophy of St. Ignatius of Loyola, whose Spiritual Exercises affirm the ultimate goodness of the world as created, loved and redeemed by God. The first Jesuit-run school was established in Messina, Italy in 1548 — which makes Jesuit education the oldest secondary education program in the world. Since that time, Jesuit educators have dedicated themselves to the mission of educating the whole person — challenging students to achieve their full potential as well-rounded individuals who are open to growth, intellectually competent, religious, loving and committed to doing justice. Nearly 500 years later, Jesuit schools all over the world have these characteristics in common.
Brophy College Preparatory was founded in 1928 by Mrs. William Henry Brophy in accordance with the Society of Jesus as a Jesuit Catholic all boys school. The first complex of the school—Brophy Hall, the Chapel, and the Jesuit Residence—was completed for the opening of college courses, as well as high school, on our 19 acre campus on September 11, 1928. Although the school met with an enthusiastic state-wide reception, one year later the Great Depression set in. After seven years of struggling financially to exist, the school closed in 1935. In the spring of 1952, the school reopened and Brophy College Preparatory accepted students into the first year of high school for the fall semester. It has remained open ever since.
Today in the United States and Canada there are 58 Jesuit schools active in a network called the Jesuit Secondary Education Association. Brophy rejoices in its national reputation for developing young Men for Others and as the only Jesuit High School in Arizona since 1928.